Welcome Back (Your dreams were your ticket out)

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

A Perfect Ending?

Since you asked, here's my prediction for tonight's game: Red Sox win. Simple as that. Derek Lowe puts in another yeoman's performance and the "Idiots" swarm Busch Stadium's infield. The Pedro-Manny Hair Shake sweeps the nation. Kevin Millar's facial hair is the Rachel Cut for Men. Johnny Damon walks on the water. And why will this happen? Why, after twin LCS nailbiters and the clash of baseball's two hittingest teams, will the Series end with a whimper rather than a bang? Because after all the decades of hype (86 years, or so I hear), a spectacular anticlimax will give Red Sox Nation something to complain about over the long winter.

There's more than just that, of course, to make a Sox sweep all but assured. Everything is going topsy-turvy, so why shouldn't the Sox take it in four? I mean, in a single game Manny Ramirez AND David Ortiz turn fine defensive plays? The Sox are lucky if that happens once a season. It doesn't help matters for the St. Louis faithful that the Cardinal's vaunted middle of the order is hitting like the Devil Rays' B-Squad.

Of course, it's certainly possible that in my prediction I've jinxed the Sox and they'll proceed to lose four straight. But the bewilderment of a incomprehensible Red Sox sweep is, in my humble opinion, par for the course. At this rate, they may well track down those elusive WMD's. When the sun rises tomorrow, anything'll be possible.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah D. said...

Well, Eli, you did call it. Seeing as how he's my boy and everything, though, I just have to add that it's KEVIN Millar. I know the Mueller/Millar thing is confusing, so it was a natural mistake, but Kevin personally contacted me to have this blunder corrected, so I could not let him down. There is now peace in the world. OH, but what were you saying about WMD's?

10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home