Welcome Back (Your dreams were your ticket out)

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Let the Punishment Fit the Crime

I'm sure most people have now seen the reports on the Los Angeles commuter train derailment yesterday. I can't help being struck by the following quote from today's paper: "The Los Angeles County district attorney said today that he would probably seek the death penalty for the suicidal man who abandoned his S.U.V. on a heavily traveled commuter rail track." I'm not a great believer in the death-penalty, and this case seems a special circumstance. It can't be the most fitting punishment for a dithering suicidal man to have the government spend $2.3 million to do the deed for him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah D. said...

You know, I was also struck by the bizarre response to the derailment and this guy's attempted suicide. I think it was also the D.A. who described the man of causing this tragedy in the midst of a "selfish act." OK, someone help me here. Is suicide the utmost selfish or selfless act? I'm confused...

9:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home