Welcome Back (Your dreams were your ticket out)

Friday, January 07, 2005

The Sporting News


Edgar: The Mustache Years

Frankly, if it's wrong to use NES games to correct historical injustices then I don't want to be right. Now that I've downloaded RBI Baseball 2, which features the Seattle Mariners baseball franchise circa 1989, I can correct all the moves that management balked on. Thus Jim Presley is benched in favor of a still-spry Edgar Martinez and Omar Vizquel is brought in at shortstop. Though this team would never have become a force in the Oakland-dominated AL West (our number one starter is Scott Bankhead, for chrissakes), it still keeps me warm on these baseball-less winter nights. I should probably stop playing so much Nintendo, but it's not like I have multiplication tables or a diorama due tomorrow.

My satisfaction with meting out after-the-fact sports justice may have something to do with watching a fatigued Sonics squad get slaughtered by the Wizards last night. I scored some tickets from a rather shady guy named Said who hangs out at the MCI Center Chipotle, but they weren't bad seats. After some tight McMillan-esque ball movement early this season, it was a pretty sloppy game. Ray Allen couldn't buy a field goal in the first half, and when that happens, you know it ain't gonna be pretty.

(In a side note, the late-80s incarnation of the Pittsburgh Pirates was a pretty sick team.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home