Welcome Back (Your dreams were your ticket out)

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

First in War, First in Peace, Last in the National League?

It was disappointing to see the new DC baseball franchise has been tenatively named the Washington Nationals, as announced yesterday. In the great spirit of DC, the team name represents a nobody-wins compromise between two highly suspect parties. "The Mayor was on Grays," [team president Tony ] Tavares said. "Bud [Selig] was on Senators. I think you see a compromise candidate." Added to the fact that this project will undoubtably cost DC taxpayers an arm and a leg, the ex-Expos are already taking after their adopted city.

I don't really mind "The Nats." I suppose DC residents should be glad the team didn't end up being named after a fearsome mammal or fish (especially considering that a team called the Potomacs once played here, it could have been much worse). Still, baseball had a chance to do something bold and gave it a miss. I encourage whoever ends up owning this team to consider changing the name (again) to the Grays, but it's probably too late. I'd say that the greatest Negro league team in history is a more promising legacy than the Senators, a team that managed only one World Series victory in 70 years. I'm personally encouraging the ghosts of Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige to roam Bud Selig's Milwaukee mansion until he has a change of heart.

There is always the option of me making a bid for the team and changing the name. I'll throw in all the money in my wallet ($4 and a bus token). I guess I could also take the George W. Bush route and get my father's friends to give me enough money for a controlling interest. So, George H.W. Bush, can a brother get a dime?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah D. said...

I'm also all for the "Grays." The Nationals is lame and boring. And as Eleanor Holmes Norton (among others) astutely pointed out, DC doesn't even have any Senators, so why would our baseball team be named that?

5:35 PM

 
Blogger ak47 said...

My vote goes to the DC Neocons. Either that or the Al Sharptons.

5:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home